Friday, February 18, 2011

Guess I'd better polish up my resume

In the Concord this week, Pastor Marc Ostlie-Olson from Saint Anthony Park Lutheran warned us:
I believe that in just a few years, most of us in the ministry of Word and Sacrament will also have day jobs in order to pay the bills.
One of the Concord editors told me, "This worries me."

And I said:  "It excites me."

The idea of not having to be beholden to a congregation's wants and whims for my own financial survival sounds freaking awesome.

Of course, the idea that I'm spending four years in school to then find a job in a likely unrelated field in order to secure financial survival is rather terrifying.

But it honestly sounds easier than trying to balance what needs to be said with what will keep people in the church.  If I end up in an established congregation, I won't just get to do what I want to do, nor what I think is theologically or Biblically or spiritually or G-dly sound; I'll have to comply with the existing community and its expectations and traditions.

Obviously, if I think that those expectations and traditions are antithetical to the body of Christ, I will work to change them.  But it will be a lot easier to do that if my paycheck isn't riding on it.

Bring on the new life!

1 comment:

  1. Buy, read and study every book ever written by Unity Church minister Dr. Catherine Ponder. Begin with her first book, "The Dynamic Laws of Prosperity." You will learn how to create a prosperous life for yourself and how to teach your congregation to do the same. Also, the e-book I advertise at my blog on how to generate prosperity is the real deal and worth buying, studying and applying every day.

    ReplyDelete