Me: So Jesus says, "Love your enemies, bless those that mistreat you" [CEV, paraphrased]. For our next activity, I want you to think about people that you don't get along with --
Renee (sixth grade): Like some girls at soccer!
Me: -- sure, people that you have to get along with, but it's hard, right?
Renee: Yeah, I don't like the one girl because --
Eleanor (sixth grade): Bullies at school!
Erik (fifth grade): At my school I don't like this gay kid.
Me: ... A gang kid?
Erik: NO! He looks at other boys!
Me: ...
Eleanor: There's nothing wrong with that!
Renee: Yeah!
Eleanor: My godfather is gay!
Renee: And my cousin is too!
Erik: It's gross!
Eleanor: IT'S NOT GROSS!
Me: Okay, okay, whoa. Erik, you do know that I'm gay.
Erika (his twin sister): What?
Erik: What?
Me: And Pastor Mary is gay too.
Erika: No you're not.
Erik: No she's not.
Me: Yes. Pastor Mary is married to a woman. And I am married to a woman. We are both gay.
Erik: No you're not.
Me: Yes. You know the blonde woman I sit with every Sunday? We are married.
Erika: No, she's your friend.
Me: No, we are married.
Erika: No, she's your best friend.
Me: No, we are married. We love each other.
Erika: Best friends do that.
Me: We live together.
Erika: Best friends do that.
Me: [How explicit do you want me to get here, kid?] No, we are married. We had a ceremony and we promised to love each other forever.
Erika: Yeah, like best friends do.
Renee: Wait did you and Kristi have a wedding?
Eleanor: Yeah, because you said we could be in it when you had it!
Me: Hang on, guys. No, we didn't have a big wedding yet.
Eleanor: Because we're going to be in it when you do.
Erika: I'm confused.
G-d bless us, every one... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment