Tuesday, September 28, 2010

It is often said that God works in mysterious ways His wonders to perform, but I find it much more common that God works in incredibly annoying ways Her child to keep from losing her mind.

Today there is a speaker, instead of chapel, from the Institute for American Values.  I am not interested in going, for two somewhat obvious reasons:  I am annoyed that there is no chapel, and I am not keen on the IAV.

When I realized yesterday that our speaker was from the IAV, I felt like I'd been kicked in the stomach.  I have felt nothing but love and support from friends and the larger seminary community thus far, but I am keenly aware that half of the ELCA does not care to have me serve as their pastor, and the idea of the IAV brought that virulently to mind.

It did not matter (to my tired and stressed out mind) that she would be speaking on the effects of divorce on children.  I was tired, and stressed out, and growing weary of hearing always and only "in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit," and this hit my heart hard.
I should have taken off and cooled myself down, but unfortunately (as I am wont to do when I am stressed out, tired, weary, and heart-heavy), I opened my big whiny mouth and said:

"I don't know why I'm here.  I should have gone to PLTS."

And my dear friend Jamie said:

"No.  You're exactly where you're supposed to be."

And this is true.

Annoyingly so.

Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment